Monday 12 November 2007

La fiesta es finida.....

It's the end of my last day in Spain, and the thought of getting on a plane tomorrow for Rome inevitably brings thoughts of getting on a plane back to Australia in 25 days... oh my god it seems so surreal. I'm so excited about going back to summer, getting on the surfboard and seeing everyone again, especially a final family christmas at Tathra, but nothing can equal the months I've spent over here, I feel like I've had a chance to try EVERYTHING!! From living a normal life catching up with mates and going out in Civitanova, to backpacking around Europe, to cycling the countryside and then being a student in Rome. Holy cow I've been so lucky!

I'm absolutely exhausted after this week in Spain - if ever I found it ahrd to get used to how late things happen in Italy, it was nothing compared to Spain. Italians tend to eat at around 9 and go out around ten, the Spanish start thinking about food at ten and go out at midnight!! Sleeping until 3pm is considered kind of normal... ?!? I found this especially hard at San Sebastion since I wanted to make the most of the daylight to go surfing - not really compatible with staying out until 6am, ahem. As a result I may not have spent quite as much time in the water as I would have liked, but I did get one awesome Friday night out with Ilaria and all the surf instructors, which was unforgettable... well maybe not so unforgettable, the typical drink from San Sebastion, Patxaran, seems to have memory altering qualities because there are serious gaps in my recollection and I was NOT that drunk! Hmmm, wild night. But it was the last one for quite I while, and damn it I had fun, so I don't care!

In the end Ilaria had a few problems with one of her mates so we stayed an extra day to let her sort it all out, and it just so happened that we were blessed with yet another rare sunny day at San Sebastian, and spent all morning in the water. It's a perfect beginners beach there, the waves are gentle, clean, constant, and usually not too big. It would be so great to spend a few weeks there and really improve! So the result of all this was that I had only today in barcelona, having caught a night bus and slept badly for the whole 7 hour trip. Ilaria and I mustered every effort to see as much as we could, and I know know the architecture of Gaudi` intimately - what a beautiful city it is, if only for his influence! Absolutely amazing, I've never seen anything like it in my life! And to think that the Sagrada Familia has been under construction for 125 years and may be yet for many more to come! I had Tapas for dinner, too, more to say I did than anything else, and because I was so damn sick of eating rolls and hamburgers, as good as they may be here!

So now I'm having an early night (for Spain, anyway, haha) and leaving my backpacking days behind me as I trudge back to Rome to stick my nose in books and go blind staring at my computer screen, haha. And to think that everyone at Uni has either finished exams (some for good!!!) or are about to finish them, i'll be studying right through summer (not that it won't have been worth it).

Adios España, me gustas muchas!!

No comments: